Monday, April 12, 2010

reflecting

30 years ago today, Terry Fox set out to run across Canada on one leg, to raise money and awareness for cancer research. He ran about 20 miles a day! He ran for seven or eight hours a day! That's a full marathon, every day! That guy is the balls!
May he rest in peace.

I can't touch the champ, but I am thinking of doing some fundraising, if I manage to continue running through to the fall 25K. That will be the furthest I have ever run!
Balls!

I am soaking into my rest day. Watching a movie, laying around, drawing. Worked a short day, got some food ready for the busy week ahead. I'm still tripping over the idea that I can run so far now. It feels a little unreal.

I couldn't run a full kilometre without stopping when I started out on this bizarre mission. So not like me to decide to run. I used to see people all kitted out in their geeky looking, ultratight, aerodynamic running gear and wonder what they were running for? The only time I would run it would have to be away from danger, or to save my board from traffic or puddles when it got away from me. Nothing could get me running. How could it be fun?
And here I am, one of 'them', enjoying my runs, once I get into them, once they are over 2kms...it's so weird. What a weird thing to do. I might rock the boom-boom shorts, but I refuse to buy into the tighties.

I started because I was bored over the winter. Because I'd been sitting around a lot on my off days, and was feeling idle. I'd pretty much been just working, making enough to get by on, there hadn't been anything of interest for me to get into for months...just hibernating through the dreaded cold season.

I feel I'm on the home stretch, now. Just three more weeks of serious regimented running, training...training, ha! It's been fifteen weeks of running. A major commitment, for me.
Incredible, considering how blithely I committed. It was an afterthought. I had no idea what I was getting into when I agreed to run this half marathon with Paula. I had believed it was only 13kms, and at that time, that was a longshot kind of goal for me to work up to!

And now I'm here. Two weeks away from running a 10K, three weeks away from 21K!
I have not become a super athelete, I am not fast or hard bodied, even after all of this work. I still clump around after a long run, on stiff-old-lady ankles and hips, but that goes away. It has not made all of my troubles go away. But it has stregthened my will, so I have accomplished something.
I have done something I never thought I would do. Not even on my list of things to do.
I didn't consider running a possibility after all of the damage I've done to myself. It was just a decision I made, and action carried it through. I am doing this now.
What will come next?

2 comments: