Tuesday, April 6, 2010

6k fast!

Ohhhh, ow.

That was sort of unpleasant. I decided in a rush of energy today, that it would be pretty rad to finish the big race in a timeframe. I've been training off of the Running Room's training manual for finishing the race in 2hrs:15min. I read yesterday about the actual pace numbers. Apparently, to finish the race in that time, my pace has to average out at 6:29mins/km, with walking breaks factored in....that's a steady running pace of 6:09/km....My best days have been averaging out to 6:40...hmm, maybe I should try not to care about it after all...then at least it will all still feel good.
We'll have to see how this week goes. It is speed week!
Tonight I tried to stay under the 6:36 'tempo' pace, and, except for a rough start (my velcro ipod band sticking to my sleeve, and then pulling the cord out of the jack, and trying to get that all back together without stopping...! I do know how to pause it...I am just very impatient.), I managed to keep it under. I set the backlight to 'always on', and rigged the sportband I got around my wrist so I could see it...all very uncomfortable and awkward...but I was constantly looking! At first I was over trying, 5:47! Yeah! Then, very shortly, nooo, too much! After awhile, I managed to quit looking at it every ten seconds. Between 2 and 4kms, every time I looked down, it seemed to read 6:19, nice! This was the easiest pace to keep to, a comfortable run.
After four, I lost something besides the daylight. I guess the lactic acid buildup came crashing in. I read about this, but I don't really know how to deal with it. I was sort of delerious...lightheaded, but my muscles were tired, everything felt heavy, like I was moving through water...awful. I kept telling myself, just keep up the pace. Soon it told me 1km left, then 400 meters, then 300 meters...and then the battery died...hehehe...nothing to do with me! I guess leaving the light on zaps it!
And yes, I was relieved, and yes, I stopped there. I'd been circling my house since it told me 1km...and I was cooked. So thats that one...tomorrow scary speed day..
I'm supposed to run intervals(my new big tech word) of 1.6kms and keep a pace of 5:24! haha, we'll see how that goes!
Tune in tomorrow to find out...what will the little runner girl be puking out?

No comments:

Post a Comment