Sunday, April 11, 2010

18K sunday

18kms in 2hrs:3mins at a pace of 6:50

I was nervous, again, when I set out. I didn't need to bring my long sleeved shirt today, the sun was out and it was nice. I put a bandanna on my head, though, to avoid sunstroke. Tearing the cupboards apart, searching for sunscreen which Luke assured me that I wouldn't need, since it wasn't that far...which made me grumpy since it's not the first time he's said that this is no big deal, and to me it just is. Set out for the tracks, to
Cold Lampin' With Flavor-PE
Minglewood Blues- Old Crow Medicine Show
Alcohol- The Kinks
California Crossing- Fu Manchu
Here Come the People in Grey- The Kinks
I started applying the KY at 2kms. The little rash I got under my right arm yesterday was already starting to sting again. On it goes.
Last Living Souls- Gorillaz
Slow- The Rev
Shadow of a Man- Bedouin Soundclash
All of those songs played during the first four kms along the tracks. I noticed that there was no shade, the sun was straight above me. Just before turning off the tracks onto Fraser, I tried a new thing. Gummy sharks from Shoppers. They were on sale and claim to be energy boosters. I figured that for a dollar, I'll give them a whirl.
How Near, How Far-...Trail of the Dead
Down through the woods, along the boardwalk, felt like I was stepping quickly.
Opium For Days- Duane Peters Gunfight
Whip It- Devo
Be Stiff-Devo
Got to the airpark and realised it had stopped feeling difficult for a little while there, after eating one of those gummies. I'm going back to get the rest after this!
Muswell Hilbilly- The Kinks
White Wedding- Idol
Alabama- Neil Young
....windows down in Alabama... today was a windows down kind of day. I was at the 17th St bridge when this was on, and the next song started my ascent to 5th...I hate that little hill. I took little steps, trying to make it feel easier.
Come Back Jones- The Kinks
Covert War on RnR- DP Gunfight
Over the green bridge, to the park. I remember seeing a guy in full fleece: a red fleece shirt, and green fleece pants that looked like long johns, tucked into work boots, riding a mountain bike. He stopped on the bridge to let me pass...he must have been sweating under there!
Snakedriver- Jesus and Mary Chain
Pacific Theme- Broken Social Scene
Nazarene- Beck
I was on Headquarters by now, and my arms were stinging alot, I had kept applying the KY every walk stop, every 2k. Out of nowhere, though, my right arm started itching fiercely! There was a lot of sweat running down the inside, but the itch was all over! I couldn't leave it alone, I was scratching and rubbing it all over, I wanted to tear it off, and it didn't stop itching until I got to Dove Creek Rd. That was weird. My back felt bruisy again all along HQ's, but went away with the itch.
Bad Reputation- The Rev
Hands Up- Big Business
Exactly Where I'm At- Ween
I crossed the foot bridge off the side of the one way bridge, and there was red danger tape that had been broken, tied all the way along it, across the thing, as though to block access. I figured that right now, I would welcome falling into the river below, so whatever.
Its Like That- K-Rec and Estea El
Don't Ride That Horse- Old Crow
Grammatical Gumshoe- K-Rec & Estea El
El Manana- Gorillaz
This set took me up Piercy to Condensory Rd. I really like the farmlands around here, it's nice to run out among the fields. A pack of road bikers hummed past quietly, and I could see kids doing running drills along Condensory Rd. Weird, 'cos that's a busy and a fast driven road. Bad idea, and a bit of a bummer since they were running my side of the road in packs, and fast. I remembered there was a horse path that ran alongside about half of the distance to the bridge that I'd noticed last time, but not taken since I didn't know where it led. Now I did, so I got a really nice run in the shade of the woods there.
In The Year 2525- Ian Brown
Secret Agent Man- Devo
Death Or Glory- The Clashn
I love this Clash song, and I needed a pick up at this point. I was feeling the heat of the sun, feeling a little burnt on my cheeks, and the road just kept unwinding ahead of me, even though I knew logically that I was on the last three km leg. There was no shade, and I was hurtin'!
198d- At The Drive In
In Your Wildest Dreams- The Rev
I don't even remember these songs playing! I do remember deciding to go fast, step quickly, simply because I could feel that it was time to get the heck out of the sun. I needed to end this run.
Footloose- Yo Kenny Loggins
Perfect timing! I am falling in love with Kenny! Feathered mullet, dirty not-quite-a-beard face and all, I am blowing him kisses in my mind, as he gives my feet little wings to get up that hill-to-home that is only evil when I have already run 17kms and it is the 18th.
Touch From Your Lust- Ben Harper
Saw me through to home, where I burst in, groaning and whimpering. Suffered through it today. But it only really hurt on the last three. Only, now my ankles and feet feel torn up...it will pass.
And, dude, I am SO brown!

So, pretty fuckin' awesome today!

1 comment:

  1. Dude you are so brown!! hahaha!!
    My crew gets down to the brown brown brown

    ReplyDelete