Sunday, April 18, 2010

20K: a milestone!

I cried through the last kilometre.
haha! I wanted to start with that. I thought I'd leave it out later since overall, my groundbreaking run was such a success.

Such a great start! I joked to Paula last night that I was going to chase the train, but didn't think about it again until I got to the station in time for the train to be pulling out! It was rad!
I ran behind it, it picked up quick...I let it win, since I was just starting my longest run ever, I didn't want to use up all my go power. I watched it disappear into the future ahead of me, where I would be soon. The tracks are greening up, turning into a lovely corridor to run in.
Great music today. Wish I could make a playlist for my race day of my favorites...I have a hate on for itunes right now.
My ankles were good today, I got them warmed up running errands, I guess. It was beautiful, running down to the waterfront, I could see fishing boats coming and going from Comox harbor across the bay. The boardwalk park is turning into a whole different world with all the leaves out now. I was smiling alot, I was really excited to get my last long practice run over with, and everything was awesome everywhere I looked. New birds, happy people all saying hi back to me, sweet dogs, eagles, the sun, new leaves on the trees, hiding all those bare arms, everything that flowers in bloom now, the warm breeze, the river flowing out, that moment when the plane touches down on the airstrip, everything was amazing up until the bottom of the incline up to fifth street. I was singing along alot, loud as I could. Fuck 'em.
Something started to hurt right after I saw the loon hanging out with those two ravens in the back eddy under the Old House, I can't remember what now, was it my back? I just remember the struggle starting there. It went away for awhile, though, it wasn't bad.
Rocked straight through town, danced over the bridge and out Condensory. I was doing a lot of dancing today, mostly with my hands. High kicks at halfway, out in the fields, onto my shady path...oh, yeah, at 12, I felt like I was going a little too easy on myself, I sped up and BAM! my left knee got a jab in it. Nothing too terrible, but persistent. Oh my poor little knees, the damage I've done them. I have to be sympathetic to their little aches and random swelling ups, since they do so very rarely, and only on one occasion during this whole training regiment. Not bad at all!
My feet were starting to complain as I turned the corner to head back towards town. I remember thinking about less bounce. By Headquarters Road, I was starting to whimper. I had a nice long walk just before Lewis park, with four or five km to go, I was thinking I had it made.
Both my Kenny Loggins songs came on, I'm All Right, and Footloose! They saved me for another km. I did some launching off the barriers, like runners' wallrides, and skipped for a minute just to switch it up, and started for a lap around Lewis, along the river path, under the bridge, and around Simms Park, too. By the time I got to the bridge, my knee was shouting at me, "no more!", feeling bruisy and swollen.
But I felt so close! I kept on, and was getting a limp on before I heard 3km left. I decided to just walk for awhile, walked over the bridge, and up fifth, started running halfway up the hill...well, it was a lot more like a really pathetic shuffle, a rolling fast walk kind of thing...my knee and feet were in terrible pain. I got to the dog park at my house, I was starting to cry, but so close! I'm not sure if it was from the pain or the almost finished feeling of exhilaration...I think it was the pain. I criss-crossed the park, whimpering and ow-ing out loud. I cried through the whole last 400meters as the voice on my Nike+ counted it off.
Now I am ready for a nap, and am going to ice my knees, watch movies, and eat everything in my cupboards that I don't have to cook.

2 comments:

  1. You're my hero Emma!! I'm just at 8k now as I'm still training for the 10K on May 9. You make me seem like a big wimp! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job!! I cried alot on this run too!

    ReplyDelete