Sunday, April 4, 2010

18kSunday

I think I am going to have to find some suede to make a superhero costume for race day. I feel like I've conquered a few worlds, here. Yeah, bad knees? pshaw. Oh, hip gimped forever? you fuck off. Too much abuse for my spine to handle? take that! High kick to the chin!
I'm winning.
Against all the naysayers and doctors with supposed good intentions?
I persevere.
Someone asked a question the other day: "What is your most valued possession related to skateboarding?" I don't know if it's all from that, but what came to mind was my determination.
I got that for sure. Where else did it come from?

I am a little grumpy right now...I left my ipod on pause too long, and the set is gone...I doubt I'll remember it, I'm feeling so dumb right now. I have to remember this and plan accordingly for after the race. We are starting to plan the day, in our excitement.
I have to remember that I will need a few minutes of alone/stretch/head adjusting time before too much socializing, then a quick shower and then food put in front of me with very little effort. I'm thinking that right now I could mow through a whole Denny's hash skillet, and probably some chicken strips, too.

I am so proud of myself! I did this today! I was so nervous when I left here. In my head: I can't do this! I planned a new route. Well, my train tracks route after a new line. I headed out of town, from my house, straight down the ridge: 3rd, 2nd, 1st to Condensory, and over the bridge and out. I could still barely breathe from not relaxing about the distance at 2km. Two eagles crossed right over me as I ran out along this long straight stretch to Piercy. Took a right on Piercy and headed back towards town, over the one way bridge. 'We Belong', from the 80's was on here, it gave me goosebumps, made me cry, I've always dug that song, but when it ended I felt unfinished business. Emerged from out of the farmlands to Headquarters, into downtown Courtenay. Then over the green bridge, and onto my familiar riverpath, going the opposite direction than usual, towards Royston on the water, and home along the tracks. It looks like I totally sped up once I got to familiar ground, although it didn't feel that way at 8-10k in.

My old shoes felt tight after rocking my new spacious runners yesterday. My right big toe, now black from when I smunched it at the Skatebarn weeks ago still hurts, but I stopped noticing that shortly. The first six went easy, but I felt like I could use some more music on my ipod now, I'll have to download P*s ten and one mixes! I walked every second km, like usual. At eight I felt the chafing start, but, oh, I came prepared. I wish I hadn't waited so long, I was on the main street through town...it had to be done, but I was embarrassed to whip out my KY...hahaha, it's what I've got on hand! and it worked perfectly. I took off my long sleeve shirt, poured a little onto my palm and wiped it under both armpits. Shazam! I felt no more discomfort from that for the whole run.
At 12k I had a moment of weakness....started thinking I might not make it, thought seriously about doubling back...decided to just go forward slowly as planned. My feet were sore, ankles crunchy, knees didn't want to get moving again after the walking minute break...hard. PE came on, 'Black Steel In The Hour Of Chaos' gave me strength. Shuffled it out, at a much faster pace than I imagined at the time. Came to the end of the waterfront in a daze, grunted and groaned my way up up up the hill to the tracks on Fraser Rd., and then clocked some really fast kms for the last 4 home, which surprised me to see, since it felt really foot draggingly, and rock trippingly slow.
I do remember my favorite song from this set. It came on as I was about to cry, grinding my way up the little Fraser hill, and I will share it so you can all laugh with me:
Kenny Loggins, I'm Alright, from the Caddyshack soundtrack! Yeah! I know!
I fuckin did it, though!
18.05km in 2:06:28 at an averaged pace of 7mins/km

2 comments: