Saturday, April 3, 2010

hear that train?

Yeah, I didn't!
It showed up from behind a corner when I was almost at WalMart, I've never been so close to there when it comes. From out behind the trees comes the blinding light that always makes me a little nervous, even when I'm further away and there are ways off the tracks. I knew there was one path, right past the WalMart building, that bypassed the sumpy, soggy, deadfall...but where was it?
I speed up, it still doesn't show itself. The train crosses the end street, on the far side of my forest swimmin' hole, still no path, no room to hide, even. Now I'm booking it, not even thinking about how dumb it was to start my run at one, knowing the train comes at 1:30, not thinking about anything except how close the train is, it's crossing the oasis, and there is still no path off these tracks. Scanning the sides and stepping so fast! The tracks were littered with debris from the gnarly windstorm yesterday, branches everywhere, and little prickly fir tree fingers wrapping around my ankles. Twice I thought I saw a break in the brush coming, but there it wasn't.
Finally, I really see it up ahead. The train is sounding its horn, nearly buckling my knees with the noise of it, over my music. I've never run so fast. And towards danger! haha...
Finally I deek off the tracks, through the trees, up the ravine on the other side...I'm coughing, nearly puking, and it hasn't passed...no way...I'm such a chickenshit...and there it goes. Close call, but really not as close as I thought it was going to be...
My new shoes were kind. I ran them loose, to break in the bendy, and even though I bought a half size larger than my normal shoe size, my toes bumped the front just a little. They feel stiff. I wonder if that was why the run felt so hard? Oh, no,- checked my pace, it was faster than I needed it to be for the whole thing, 7.63kms. It looks like I finally gave out on the last km, my pace went from an average of 6.20 down to 7.17! I should stay slow...
Anyways, hard run, beat the weather again, even got quite a few sunbeams on my shoulders!
Dogsitting today!

No comments:

Post a Comment