Saturday, March 13, 2010

East Van Supreme


Hanging with my niece and nephew today, getting set to help my bro with his yard. Two cups of coffee and a nice drive with one eye on the sky and I'm ready for my run. Bethany suggested a route that she thought would be six kms, I wanted another slow and steady to get ready for tomorrow.
Still floating on good feelings from good visits and all the support from friends in this mission I'm on, I think, "only six"...Only six! hahaha, look how far I've come! Rad.
I started up Adanac and decided to go easy on myself and warm up walk to the top of the hill, and begin after Renfrew.
Oh no! I just erased my set list! It was so good!
...bummer...I know it started with the Kinks, and that got me to the High School at Lakewood.
I was feeling stoked to be running in a new area again, and going slow. And then J.Mascis Waistin' was on and I ran down Lakewood, over a little lump of a rock sculpture, which was fun, so I used some more rocks along the sidewalk as stepping stones, and felt really glad to be running and looking forward to my long run tomorrow. I get to -haha, can't believe I'm going to say this!- TRAIN, along the actual race route. 16kms. double you, oh, double you. fuck yeah.
So, there's a big empty memory area in the middle of the run, where all the scenery took over as I got down Lakewood to Wall St, and started back along it. I know Fu Manchu was on as I got to the bottom of the hill, 'cos I was singin along to Godzilla! OK, a) I had no idea there were so many really nice places there along the waterfront, and b) I want to live in one of them! The view of the mountains was nice, as well as the whole inlet, and a holler back at Stanley Park, where I'll be tomorrow morning.
I charged across a park, from one corner to the other, straight up a steep hill to My Rhyme. I thought a dog was about to charge me 'cos I was trying to sing along. I was winded at the top, but kept on, feeling good. That was Slocan and Firehose, and the Rev played me on to the skatepark at Hastings. I thought I saw a new sculpture as I ran up to the Italian gardens there...from a distance it looked like some kind of mud stacked up to form totem poles. I was totally interested, but as I ran up to them, I was disappointed to find these burlap wrapped cypress trees...of course. I'm a geek.
At 400 metres to go, Stetsasonic was being awesome, " We do sit ups, push ups and run the track, but you run like a snail if you smoke the crack!" I love it when my music talks about running! Haha!
I got a green light at Renfrew and ran past those guys at the entrance to Hastings park like they were standing still....
6.05kms in 40'43'' at 6:44/km what a pro.

No comments:

Post a Comment