Sunday, March 28, 2010

12kmSunday

Looked out the window and the sunshine I'd seen coming in a minute ago was a trick, there was a black cloud coming over and rain in the forecast. I thought I'd get out there and beat it. I didn't feel like making 12, I felt I could do a fiver, but off I went anyway, with one bottle of water, a bottle of boost, and some tissues in my water belt.
I've been looking forward to running my favorite route along the tracks out to the end of town, and then back along the waterfront with my Nike+ to tell me the distance. I set out to Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. I'm loving the eighties tunes I added on here.
Hell Yes-Beck. Hell yes.
I stopped for a walk at 2kms, a sip of water, a sip of boost. I had to wait out more traffic than usual at the crossings, but I felt like my pace has really improved.
Every Planet We reach is Dead-Gorillaz
I'm Not Sorry-Duane Peters Gunfight
Boogie Van- Fu Manchu
God's Got It- Old Crow Medecine Show
The rain met me at 3kms, light at first, but by the time I was reaching WalMart, I couldn't see for the water running down into my eyes. I had to pull out my superhero. My broadsword sliced into the the heavy, angry precipitation, smashing the raindrops into a thousand shattered pieces so that I could make my way through. A furious battle, and wiping the wet and blood from my eyes, I prevailed, and came out the other side, where the clouds retreated as mist, fragmented and weakened by my onslaught. At 4kms I had another walk, just past my hidden forest oasis.
More Light-J.Mascis & The Fog
TV Set-The Cramps
Children's Story-Slick Rick
Kentucky Moon- The Kinks
The battle was over, the run just beginning. I rocked down to the water and along my secret forest boardwalk. All the skunk cabbage is coming up, and my bird army was with me this day: captain redwing blackbirds, executioner towhees, and kamikaze chickadees, standing at attention in the trees, running drills, all ready for more action.
Holiday-The Kinks
Crowning of the Poor-Ian Brown
Burn One Down-Ben Harper
Ojo Rojo-Fu Manchu
As I got to the airpark, a flock of dark knight crows had it out with a band of gypsy ninja starlings that I was caught in the middle of, but it all worked itself out and I was pleasantly distracted right through until my machine told me I only had 4kms to go from the 17th St bridge. Started getting a little pain in my left hip, but it didn't last past the old mill.
House of Pain-Van Halen
Sweet Sixteen-Canned Heat
Betty Davis Eyes-Irene Cara
I got honks on 5th St that made me feel a thousand feet high, as I'd been struggling up that little incline since 11th, feeling done. I also got the break in traffic to run across the road without having to descend the dirty stairs to the underworld of that bridge, and it felt good to rip across that main street.
Ladies-Mantronix
Vanity Kills-Ian Brown
Vampires in the Disco-K-Rec and Estea El, yo.
Source Tags and Codes-And You Will Know Us By The Trail of the Dead
The hill at 10kms didn't even phase me, I rocked right up it with a quickness, I feel strong today and was barely winded at the top end of that street that has to be 1st. Followed the ridge back through the awesome old house district, grabbing at low hanging blossoms, looking out over the river below when I got the chance to. Then back along the tracks for the last 400m to the dog park for my walking cool down. I came home and even did half of my physio, which I haven't been doing for the past month or so. That felt even better, and I know I need to get back on top of that.
SO
24 runs left before my big race day. 20 more until the Times Colonist 10K in Vic.
It's coming so fast! And it feels good to feel this strong and ready. As much as I was grumpy that my run would steal my energy for skating later today, I know I'm in the best shape of my life and my muscles will answer on time to every call. My ollies are gonna be higher this year, and I'm going to stomp some new old tricks I've forgotten. I'm feeling better than I did at 17.
I'm mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually, here, now, and in every moment, alive. Whatever this is, it is rad to feel this good...

1 comment: