Thursday, January 7, 2010

a short, short history

OK, I am not a runner. Two years ago I could barely walk.

I have never been a runner. I hated running, always.
But I have always been somewhat athletic. Mountain biking, swimming, and skateboarding.
At 17 I broke my tailbone. Did not do any physio.
4 sprained ankles. No physio.
Various bodily pulls and strains sustained through skateboarding. No physio.
And at 23 I dislocated my hip. Still, no physio.
I developed a major limp that turned into a bent spine because I refused to use a cane, or go to physio. The result was heavy sedation and years of painfully trying to continue doing what I loved to do. Then a motorcycle accident where I pogoed off my head, flat to my back. They told me I was lucky for not breaking my neck, and sent me on my way, glad to be walking...sort of. More pain...

Three years ago I decided to ditch the drugs that were keeping me foggy, but in less pain, and get it together to do what I could for myself while my body was still young enough.

Within three months I could barely walk. I spent several days a week in bed for months. Both from the adjustment to no opiate, and the onset of the reality of the pain in my back.

It took some time. I tried to just start stretching and exercising on my own and fixing myself, and eventually made it worse. Then, 2 years ago I found a magical physiotherapist who did not tell me just to stop being active, like all the others had. He told me, " I can fix you, but you have to do exactly what I tell you to do." So I did.

It happened last December. I realised, as I was going about my business one day, that I was not in any pain. At all. Not even a little ache. For the first time in 10 years, I felt nothing.

I started running on a track with a gym friend who was training for a 5k that I didnt think I would be able to do. It started to ache, so I laid off. I kept on with physio for another 10 months, and this time I have his permission to go for it, so here we go again.

This time I think I can do it.

3 comments:

  1. LOVE IT!!! YAY!! High kicks for the running chicks!! GOOD NIGHT!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://starlog711.blogspot.com/2010/01/saturday-3km-steady-end-of-week-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. And look at you... you ARE doing it! I'm so impressed.

    Your pal in NYC,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete