Sunday, February 14, 2010

sunny sunday 10k

SO nice to wake up to sunshine!
I had my coffee, and got psyched to go.
I felt like maybe I couldn't do it for some reason. Not sure where that's coming from, but as I set out, I was nervous about the distance.
I decided to go a new route, to make it interesting, and it was. I started running from 5th St., along the train tracks. It's uneven, gravelly in some places, and I had to switch from one side of the tracks to the other four or five times. It was nice, though, empty, and forested. A lot of it was running on mossy ground...so nice.
I ran all the way to Wal-Mart before I stopped for a minute of walking. My pedometer said it was only 3.5kms, which seems not as far as I thought, but I dont trust it anyway. I decided to keep on the tracks past the mall, I've never been back there, and I knew that Comox Logging Road is on the other side somewhere. It was so nice in there! There's a river coming through right before the road, and it looks like it could be an awesome hidden swimming hole in the summer. Note to self.
Went down the road alongside Millard Park to the waterfront, across the old highway, and back to my boardwalk that I found last week. It was busy along the waterfront path...hordes of peeps out to enjoy the Sunday sunshine. I said hi to everyone I passed, and it was such a nice run. I stayed slow and started getting really thirsty.
I stopped to walk again at the start of the airpark, the water fountain wasn't working and I started to get grossed out thinking about my muscles sticking together!!! Thanks alot for that info Paula! Haha! I couldnt stop thinking about it for the rest or the run, as I was getting sore here and there.
The path from the airpark gains about 15 feet from the water level, and every foot seemed to drag me down a little more. The last two kms were difficult, and I shuffled along slower and slower, thinking about this week's hill training start. Nervous, but excited for a new challenge.
I've come such a long way already. I'm so proud of myself. I finished ten kilometres today in one hour and thirteen minutes. I know my time is going to keep getting a little better, and if I run that thing in even under three hours, I will be amazed.
I ended up walking the last .7, up the hill from the river to my house. The sun was so warm, and I was covered in salty brine and my cheeks were all patchy red like they get, and I felt really good.
Have to keep on top of my physio, though, I've been in pain all week and ditched out of two of my training runs that I need to keep doing. I'm pretty sure it's just stress from the job I do. But not long now until I have some earning options...feels like spring is here already. Pretty soon I'm back in business for myself.
Time to go back outside!

3 comments:

  1. Oct.10 RVM25K, Victoria* - Is the Victoria half??? I wanna do it with you!!

    I looked at my calendar for April 25th.. but dance competition the 24th... so wouldn't make it out.. that woulda been fun though!! YOu have your friend .. Kathie...?? or who??? Who is doing that one with you??

    sorry about the muscles sticking together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on my own there...it will be like practice for me to get used to the race day nerves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i miss the set lists and their coinsiding thoughts...

    ReplyDelete