Tuesday, September 21, 2010

night sky

I fuckin love to run at night! I forgot that I did, and was so bummed out when I looked up from reading and making notes to see that the light was gone. I slumped around and lamented missing my long run, then reevaluated and decided that I can do my long run tomorrow, and it will be better that way. I put on my gear, even though I felt cold. Pulled out the long pants, zipped up the hoody, and set my ipod to ten so that I knew I'd make seven at least. I am certain now that there is definitely something funky going on, cos I ran the hell around this town. I know now that when my ipod jumps around in my pockets, it doesn't measure right.
Leaves are sitting around the corners of the intersections, yellow and orange even in the dark, I shuffled through four piles of them before I even got down to Cliffe. Followed Cliffe all the way to the end of town, this side of Millard Park, then followed the edge of the big mall lot. Passed a number of shifty fellows sort of lurking inthe dark shadows, not really going anywhere...and then a cluster of cop cars making some bust. Halfway through the run, the air went crisp and started to ring with the clear light. The halos around the streetlights fuzzed out into the blue and I saw Jupiter sitting next to the moon. When I finally started home with the moon on my back, I remembered how much the night makes me reminisce on my late Langley walks. What is cool about Courtenay is that I get to pass through all the quiet neighborhoods in one go. The wide open, empty parking lot malls, with the leaves turning crisp and stale, still hanging on the trees at the edges. The rows of warehouse and industrial space, with its beautiful mess of detritus, twisted metals, disposed cans and springs out back and empty of all life. Then the residential suburbs, with the chimney smell of smoke adding that spooky Halloween haze to the whole neighborhood, giving the trees their spirits.
I fuckin love the nights, roaming the streets in the little towns.
But the run felt really, really long. All the way back past the back Driftwood mall, then up to Piercy, past the tracks for the straight run through to the city works yard, then up to Willemar, and back down my go-to, fifth street.
A good run. Looking forward to the full on-ness of fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment