Sunday, September 19, 2010

Terry Fox is My Hero


So it felt great to run in the 30th annual Terry Fox Foundation's run this morning. Even if it started late and was so disorganized. It was enough, people showed up, and alot of money got raised. I even did my own fundraising, albeit slightly half-assed through emails and facebook, collecting $720 from about a dozen very generous donors!
I did my best to not think of Terry during the run, because I find his story so damned inspiring and amazing that it always makes me cry. I thought about my dad, and my friends and other family, who really came through and helped me feel like I did all this training for a reason. I felt ready for next month's, and this year's final run, the Royal Victoria Marathon.
What was really cute was the warm-up. I don't usually stretch before a shortie and I've never been to a run where they borrow a fitness trainer to do some preliminary stretching and bouncing and marching in place. I thought it was so cute that I got right in there in the grass and went to it with everybody else, trying to not feel like a nerd, but enjoy the cuteness. When it was done they just said, okay, GO! I started off really slow, having just received the course outline, I knew I was in for a long, long hill up to Guthrie. The good thing about htat is that is was all downhill for the way back, and much sooner than I anticipated. I thought we would be coming down Anderton, so when we turned back on Pritchard it felt little, and I started trucking! I rocked back to the marina, choosing to not do the second lap of the same route, first because I had my hopes set on one big circle route that I could find out about and use as a practice tenK later, and second, with the late start, it would take me too long to get through the run and get ready for work at noon.
I found out my Ipod is calibrated a bit off, and that will add up in the long run...ha, I've never used that so literally before! Its off by 1.45 per 5km, so that will be 6kms further than I've been training for in the final! Which is a lot of extra on my knees if every 2k I add onto my long runs causes a ton of pain every week its the first time I've added those 2k on. I will have to add alot onto my 18 this and next weekend to get up to what I am really going to be doing in Oct! But at least I found out now and not the day of the half.
And now off to work!

1 comment:

  1. YAY!! Hahaha.. that will pay off in the long run! hahaha!

    Nerdy cuteness warm-up

    Emma RUNNING! ONe more EMMMMSSSS!!

    ReplyDelete