Monday, August 2, 2010

yarn flowers

I got it into my head that I wanted to run a new loop for my long run today. I figured that maybe it would be nice to run up past Stokem to Forbidden Plateau Rd., over to Dove Cr., and back down to Condensory. I drove it in my truck to gauge the distance. The speedo rolled from something-something-something-598 to something-something-something-606. Yep, it's in miles, but that's about 13kms so I figured I would just walk more at the start and the end.
Yeah a new route!

I freaked out for awhile getting ready. Worried about my old shoes even before I decided to push it. It really is time for new shoes, the other day when I left them in my truck a piece on the back of the heel just peeled right off. I repainted them gold before I set out. They were on my feet already when I did it. It felt a little moist but cool and good. I was feeling like doing an extra awesome run anyways.

I set out and walked for half a km. Got bored, decided to run. Ran up both hills, and onto Comox Logging Rd. There was a lovely dead moth, and two sort of flowers made from yarn in the ditches...I might have to go back for those.
The Logging Rd. was sketchy, everyone speeds down there, and there isn't any shoulder for the first half. I trucked onward, it was nice, but the kms were rolling up there pretty quickly.
It fucking ruled to run across the bridge at the potholes with the sun shining off the top of the water. I really did want to jump in, and imagined flying down into the coolness.
The stretch between there and Forbidden was really long and hot. Things started to get achy, knees swelly. But there were golden fields full of sunshine and grass to look at.
At 9kms there was a nice downhill stretch. I rocked down there, and then nearly lost it at 12.
I was at 12k, feeling broken, pretty much, an still not quite at Condensory Rd. I know there is three kms at least to the bridge from there. I let myself walk, for as long as I want, I told myself. I took the One Spot Trail. I got a little wigged out, and decided to run the rest of it, kind of hurrying to get back onto the road. Ah, whatever works.
I kept allowing myself walks, but found after a bit of running, that it hurt less to sort of lope along kind of walk-run/ speed walk style, my heels were dragging a bit, so I got alot of gravel in my shoes, but I didn't stop until I got to the bridge.
Using the handrail, I lowered my stiff legs down to the riverside, sat on a rock, took off my shoes and socks, and waded in. I haven't felt that good in so long. Relief, cool waves of relief. I stood in it for five or six minutes, holding my shorts up and watching the tiny fish clear the surface all around, jumping out at the sky. When I got out, my legs felt so light, but that didn't last very long, an I slogged my way up through town to home.
I am brain dead right now. I forgot to save my music stuff. That was a long run...16kms.

No comments:

Post a Comment