Wednesday, August 11, 2010

back atcha

So I've missed another week of running due to having an awesome summer.
I am not too bummed about it, but am ready to get back on track and even have the opportunity to get some runs in on new ground. Today's 8 was a 4, but I tacked on a few to help me catch up. In my head I've got a thousand km goal for the year, and I've got to stay on track if I am going to make that. What a great feeling that would be!
I threw on the Black Keys and let my mind wander.
Some things I thought about:
The new shoes Paula and I found for me at the Running Room. I'm in trouble with these. They'll be nearly $200 after tax, and we only went there to get sized properly, find out why I lost my toenail. They gave me these to put on and there really is no turning back now. My glass slipper. My whole body relaxed as the balls of my feet sank into the cloudy cushy softness and my toes spread out to hug the shoes. I had to fight against my body to get them off my feet and hand them back to the salesperson. My plan was to find the most similar shoe to the one they suggested, at the half price sport market. But as I tried shoe after shoe on, looking for the best match, it became clear there was no comparison, I am screwed. Sold. Shit.
Second thoughts: Today I am in Langley, very near Aldergrove, where I grew up. I ran towards the Evergreen Market, a marker I used to pass every day on my 20km drive to my special fundamental school; we travelled far to learn our three R's like pro's! I also remember deciding to go for a long distance bike ride to this market when I was six, from 256th and 48th, to 242nd and 56th. I brought my neighbor, my best friend, and her parents found us along 242nd, after we'd already spent our entire allowance on candy and were heading home, so we were set, and all the shit we got in was worth it. I was trying to expand on this memory, but all I could recall was the Sour Lemon Blasters, and that when we got home, we set up a stand at the end of the driveway to try and sell them.
Other thoughts: Golden Ears. I am going camping there later, and am looking forward to doing some running up there. Kerri mentioned a 5Peaks run, so I am looking that up to find a trail. Ow my knees. The whole first half of this run was a gradual uphill, and when I turned onto 242nd, I was faced with a crazy wall. I swore at it and took it on like a champ. No problem. I've come far.
I thought of Paula at home with her screw in her ankle, and ran faster, farther, and kept an eye on my path.
When it told me I was halfway, I went a little further, the red flashing light at the 4 way stop was calling me. I never noticed the market, I was thinking hard about taking the twisty route back down the hill, coming around back to Sam's house by way of 232nd. I hurried back but I didn't see a sidewalk or much of a shoulder, so I kept to what I knew. It was a good and quick trip home, my pace increased thanks to the easy downhills, and I made up a little time. At 2k to go, my toenail started hurting me. For the wedding I went to, and just for a fun outing with the girls, I got my ruined big toenail remade by technology, and the girl made it longer than usual. It looks very pretty again, no longer black and yellow and in half, ut it was hitting the front of my shoe, pushing down onto the rest of the toe, I had to scrunch it up to keep it from doing that, but I made it.
Somehow the distance didn't work out evenly, I finished at just under eight, sweating from everywhere, even my shins and elbows were sweating, and it felt awesome.
Till tomorrow! On a mountain!

No comments:

Post a Comment