Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Wildfires

The sun was just a glowing copper coin behind white curtains all day. Smoke hung in the air at the edges of the fields, at the edges of my vision. Looking across the river, I couldn't be sure if I was really seeing smoke, or...was it a storytime mist, as if someone was about to tell all about Once Upon A Time In A Kingdom Far Away...or It was A Dark And Stormy Night...
At one point when I looked toward the hills I could barely see the glacier. The only fire I'm aware of is burning in the Okanagan...seriously a good five hours east of here, if you could drive across the Georgia Straight and through the Coast Mountains. What the hell is going on? I debated whether running in it would wreck my throat or hurt in my lungs. After a disappointing workday with too many cancellations, two swims, and a fair amount of sunbathing at the riverside, I felt I ought to accomplish something.

She Is Free Jeff Buckley and Gary Lucas
I love this song, but it is a little sad for me. Makes me want to go home right now and happily surrender all so called freedom. It was a nice slow start to the run, down McPhee.
Oceans and Streams The Black Keys
Had to fiddle with the Ipod a bit, since I purposely set it to that song first, then no more. I forgot how much I liked this Sugoi top, it has a big, baggy pocket on the back, between the shoulder blades, which saves me having to wear my crappy sportband, or hide a key.
Pandy Fackler Ween
Running up the hill to the park, across the tracks on 17th, still taking it easy. Passed another runner coming towards me. We kept looking away just to miss saying hi. I waved anyway.
Absynthe The Gits
I felt my pace quicken to this song as I set up Cumberland Rd, but it didn't last very long, I got so breathless so quickly. Slowed my pace, sang along, and felt good.
Rude Boy Abroad Bedouin Soundclash
Coming back toward Lake Trail Rd on I don't know what street through the Willemar ghetto, I saw four, 4! drug deals going down, and got nervous since it was the same car each time, and it appeared to be following my path, or I was following its path...I really didn't want to see that shit.
Mr Freeman Skit Souls of Mischief
I finally turned the right corner to leave that shit behind, and laughed at this skit, that guy sounds exactly like him!
Rental Car Beck
This was such a perfect, mellow beat, that I just enjoyed it and paid attention to my footfalls, trying to roll my whole foot, trying to use even pressure on each step, and not absentmindedly limp as I have a habit of doing. I couldn't get that shit off my mind, though, so I recounted all of the awesome stuff in my life today that I have worked so hard towards, and imagined what my future will look like, so soon, when I get to say it's been YEARS since I did that shit. I practiced saying it out loud, it felt really good.
400 Bucks The Rev
Quicker pace, I was at the corner, and I wanted to get home. Just stuck with the beat. Remembered that someone owes me about that much, and laughed because it was so much like the song. He was so sweet that day.
Wurkin Fu Manchu
Yes! This was the last straw, last km. I am totally into Fu Manchu lately. I got my fists pumping and pushed with my feet. The only lame part about my Nike+ is that when I run faster, my stride length is longer, and my footfalls fewer, so it doesn't actually register that I am speeding with the wind blowing my hair back and the sweat coating my arms and legs and face and shoulders getting a cool breeze and actually chilling me. I concentrated on my breathing, keeping it even, but shallow, and not worrying about it. I did not tire like I thought I would.
Insecurities The Gits
Excellent. I kept up the pace, and even managed to sing along, rocking the last stretch home with
such grit I impressed myself. Sweat was pouring down my cheeks, I was labouring a little in my breathing, I felt like my face wanted to grimace, but I did not want to be seen making that gross face, so I kept catching myself and shutting my mouth...hahaha, sounds funny, but I noticed, and then didn't, and then noticed, and then forgot, etc...
I didn't care that my long strides would register as me slowing down, it felt great to have no pain at all and be rocking like that without dying from the effort. An amazing finish for me. No records beat, but definitely the best feeling run in a long time.
Awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment