Monday, May 31, 2010

big break


I have been thinking about this project a lot lately, missing it a little!
Since the last time I ran in the city, I have not gone for a run. My knees have been acting very strange, so I decided it was best to turn my back on 'training' for as long as I possibly am able.
It has not been difficult! haha!
But it has been frustrating to find out how damaged my joints feel now that I have been running for five months. In the interim, I've played some tennis, hiked in the woods and on some trails, and been skateboarding. During the second week off of running, it was alarming to feel my knees heating up , and swelling slightly at the slightest exertion. I cursed running and all of its highs that kept me moving. The third and fourth week off have been the meanest, though. My ankles ached for four days straight following a mellow 20minute skate session....okay, there was alot of jumping and balancing action, but no measurable overwork or strain on them. My whole body seems to be aching, and climbing the stairs from Florencia Beach just took the wind out of me!
I'm not sure what my next step is. Even with all of these hurts, I am still looking forward to a pleasant 3K jog! My original plan had me taking a break until around June 20th, then starting all over again, but I feel my body craving activity other than the hard work that gardening is. The routine that comes from daily training and the sense of accomplishment is missing...
On the plus side, I have begun to consider taking on the challenges that until now I had just written off as not possible for me...I'm taking steps to buy property, the academic ball is rolling fast, making art is a part of daily life, and I remain happy. Just content with how things are....which for a manic depressive is a monumental achievement if you can maintain that feeling for more than a month!
As much as I enjoy this break, I look forward to challenging myself in such an immediate way again. The results are quick, and measurable in inches, metres, kilometres, and dress sizes!

No comments:

Post a Comment