Wednesday, May 12, 2010

cheesy

Ok, this is so stupid, but.
Just when I decide that I had the best day skateboarding and that I get way more out of it and forget running, it is ruining me, I go for my scheduled 5km Wednesday shot. Prepared to hate it and add to the reasons to stop pile, the best one yet. I fell skateboarding today, and I scraped my whole left shin, from knee to ankle. It looks so tough, but it doesn't hurt at all.
I executed a perfect barrel roll fall at the very last moment, once I knew I was going down. Coming out of the oververt pocket in the deep end at the local park. I imagined it in my head in a flash, and decided even a try for it would be better than going sideways down on my knees as I was about to. I committed to my fall. I rolled. I bounced back onto my feet at the foot of the transition, (I wish I could have seen it, it could have even looked like a graceful somersault), my front foot was magically back on my board, I stepped back on and rode away! WTF! Amazing!
I am a pro at falling down!
Anyways, I actually expected the knee to get swollen at some point. Probably when I went for my run, after my shift at the indoor tonight was done. I just finished my run...no swolly.

What happened instead is crazy. I went around my usual neighborhood loop, and when I got to the bottom of my training hills, I felt like-yes, I said I FELT LIKE- taking a swipe at it tonight.
Go up, 500m, and back down, 500m, and home. I kept running, after it had told me I was done my 5, I just slowed down to a really easy pace. And then quit at the street where it usually tells me I have 400m to go and walked to cool down. Well, some lady comes on and tells me, "Congratulations, you just set a new personal best time for 5kms".
I just got so excited, I could only laugh at myself.
So amped!
So lame!
So rad.

And I'm running for another day.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you're still into it! I remember a few weeks ago feeling like I hated running so much and wanted to quit...like mid-run wanted to just walk away. I was thinking to myself, "Why the hell am I doing this anyway? I can stop anytime." But I didn't cause it's those times when it's so great that keep you hanging on.

    Also, I think you may have successfully convinced me to do a half. Though not in June, I feel like that's too soon, but maybe September, there's one in Surrey. I feel crazy for even thinking this thought...yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya Andrea!!! YOu can run the half with us in Victoria in October!!! Then we can all be together !! YAY!!

    Ya emma graceful roll and keep on the go! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete